Friday, August 1, 2008

The Following Takes Place Between 9:30 AM and 10:30 AM






Previously on "24":








Pat: "I need you to see how secure my plant is, you're the only one I trust to do this, if you are caught you are on your own, your country cannot help you."








Jack (me): I accept this prestigious mission, sir.



So my friend Pat asked me last week if I wanted to help him test his factory's security procedures. He promised to pay me (for a teacher this is a helpful piece of info.) so I told him sure. What he wanted me to do was try to break into his plant any way that I could. I met with him yesterday for lunch where I received information on what they considered to be weak points of entry and also where I was to drop my package if I succeeded. What we didn't go over very well was an exit strategy. This is something I realize as I'm frantically trying to leave this place without getting into some trouble that I couldn't talk my way out of, or if I came across someone who was a shoot first, ask later kind of person. For my mother and grandparents who read this, I did have all kinds of documentation should I not be able to talk my way out that would ensure that I would be able to leave the plant without being "taken down" or arrested.



So anyway, I go in and try to hit one of their weaker points that we had discussed earlier, after around 20 minutes, I decided to give that up, so I proceed to the front desk and use the old, "I have to go to the bathroom" trick which works every time. If you are a teacher, or a student, you are very familiar with this technique, I'm sure. It goes something like this: "I have to go to the bathroom" Translation: I am fed up with being right here and want the opportunity to wander around at my leisure and see what sort of havoc I can raise without being under the watchful eyes of anyone in authority. So, I go to the bathroom, and am a little concerned because the receptionist's desk looks directly down the hallway and she can see when I leave. Fortunately, she was not at her desk when I stepped out, so I was able to continue on my way.


I make the drop, and head out to leave. If you remember, towards the beginning of this story, this is the weak part in my plans. I head out towards a gate I know is coming up in hopes of finding it magically open and I can just walk out and be on my way. I know I don't want to go back to the front because I'm pretty sure the receptionist would rip my head off before waiting to hear my explanations. So as I'm walking, I hear someone behind me who is obviously trying to get my attention, so I employ yet another technique I have learned from my students, the "unless you call me by my full name, I will pretend I do not hear you desperately trying to track me down" technique.


I make my way to the gate which is not magically open, so I head for an open door and tell the person there that I am trying to find my way back out to the front and that I got separated from my party, he kindly points me on my way, and viola (not the instrument, but the French saying), I'm back cozy at my house having completed my mission.


I must say, I did receive a call a few minutes ago from my friend Pat who let me know just how close of a call I had because they were already looking for me before I left the property. I must say though, that I am very grateful to Mr. David Baldacci, Mr. Jack Bauer, and my students (past and present) for allowing me to take on and succeed in a mission of this nature.


So TBA (Texas Bandmasters Association) convention went really well at the beginning of this week, the only downsides were the name, which I covered in the last post, and the fact that Brenna and Kayla were unable to accompany me due to potty training. It would have been fun, they had free babysitting, a game room, a barbecue night, a luncheon for spouses, clinics on finances for the spouses, and several other enjoyable things for the whole family. It was kind of a way for all the band directors and their families to come together, have some fun, and learn some new information before we began this crazy thing called the school year.


The one interesting, out of the ordinary, event that took place was when I went to get the signature of someone who worked at TBA so I could get credit for doing my professional development hours. I go down to the booth they tell you to go to and no one is there, everyone has already left for the day, or so I thought. I see this one elderly couple coming out of one of the offices off to the side of the area, and go to ask them if they know of anyone who could sign my sheet. It turns out that this couple is the one that the entire convention is honoring for their service to TBA by having a reception as well as having a piece commissioned in their honor and performed as a world premiere at the convention. I was able to talk with them some in what I hope is a memorable way in case I need to have him as a reference at some point. All in all a good trip. Now it's on to band camp in earnest next week with outside marching and everything, so I'll be sure to keep everyone posted as much as I can.


And to those of you who would worry that I might give up the life of an assistant band director for the glamorous life of a secret agent spy, don't worry, I just finished shaking!

1 comment:

keyofdjonz said...

oh lord, my son the spy!!! in my wildest dreams i could never have imagined this scenario!