Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Final Week of Summer (For Real)



So my last week of summer vacation was supposed to end about two weeks ago when I started band camp. Little did I know that the head band director I work with had other plans. She wrote an amazingly simple, yet effective drill for our marching band, mix it together with kids who are really willing to work as hard as they can, and you end up with the following: instead of three days working from 10 AM-8 PM, three days off with nothing to do but see how you can accomplish the least amount of productivity into such a short period of time.

Did I mention Kayla and Brenna went to Houston this week to visit her parents? We did this because I wasn't going to be home anyway, and it was a good time for them to visit before school got back into session for Kayla's mom as well. So not only am I allowed to indulge myself in my odd sleep schedule (see writing a blog post at one in the morning), but I'm also allowed to play computer games to my heart's content, as well as complete my final bit of "film research" for the summer by completing the Star Wars double trilogy.

Now I realize that some of you who read this are thinking, "Boy, if I had one more week of vacation left and I knew I wasn't going to get another break for three months, I would probably spend it preparing for the upcoming classes I had to teach to set out a syllabus, a schedule of events, and make sure I had my first few weeks of lesson plans done." To those people, I say: "When you have three days of waking up at 11 and going to bed at 4, there's plenty of time to fit it all in." Yes, I realize it's a lie, and I'll probably not even make it through half of the things I actually need to accomplish, but I have such a hard time getting motivated when I'm here by myself. Which leads me to my final point.

If I had not gotten married to a fabulous woman (See post on 8/3/08), I would almost certainly be a very lazy and unkempt man-child. I say this because in the time since my wife and daughter left town, I have logged roughly 14 hours of sleep, eaten fried food for every meal since Sunday, not shaved, bathed twice, gotten out of my pj's only to go to two days of work, and logged the remainder of my time between the computer and the television with a few breaks for the call of nature. To all the guys reading this, don't hate me because you can't have this glamour, and to all the girls, be thankful I found time to feed our pets! I love bachelorhood, but I think if I had it all the time, it would destroy me. I did get productive a little today and cleaned the house just a bit, and I do have a few work things to do tomorrow, which should insure that I put on some shorts that I don't sleep in. As far as that list that's shown above about all the things I need to do, I'll get to them at the end of the week, I'm sure. And if not, well.....

Kayla and Brenna will be home Friday!

1 comment:

keyofdjonz said...

i'm so glad i raised you so well! 2 showers? maybe we need to revisit that "stinky" talk! weston wasn't crying for food, he was crying to be rescued!!