Monday, August 25, 2008

1st Day Back!





I thought I would start this entry off with some cartoons, they always seem to make the situation better.


I'm not sure I could have asked for a better first day, and it's very nice to be able to have a second first day. Of course I mean a first day for a second year in the same school. The kids were very pleasant and we were able to get the information to them that we needed to.


The only problem I had with my day was my own fault: I had a list of things in my head that I wanted to accomplish before school started. They included watching some trilogies, playing some games to completion, and finishing all the summer books I set out to read. I was so determined to complete the task of finishing my self-imposed booklist that I stayed up until 1AM to complete the book that I was working on. I woke up between 6 and 6:20, ready to face the day, but I am paying for it now. My poor wife had to deal with our daughter this evening for probably an hour because I couldn't keep my eyes open. So, I will not make this mistake again, I hope. I plan on going to bed here in the next half-hour or so, so that I can be well rested to go back tomorrow, when the real work begins.


It always seems easy to me to plan lessons for the first day, because the kids are filling out forms, telling what they did over the summer, and getting all the paperwork that you got ready to go the week before and before you know it the time alloted is up and they're off to their next class. Tomorrow, and every day following until sometime around the last week, the real work of teaching begins and continues. I look forward to the challenges and am really excited about all my classes.


The updated numbers as of today (the counselor told me they would change tomorrow) are as follows:
Percussion-16
Movie Music 1-5
Beginning Band 1-30
Beginning Band 2-28
7/8th Grade Band-52
Movie Music 2-19


That's a grand total of 150 students that I get to see and teach personally out of a school of around 300. That's not including the 40 or so high school band members who I also assist with. Don't anyone ever say band directors have an easy job. Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

1 comment:

keyofdjonz said...

glad it went well. you have got to send me directions about how to upload pictures. i loved the cartoons!