Thursday, September 25, 2008

Two Absolutely Unrelated Subjects


For those of you who don't know or have forgotten, I am somewhat of a Star Wars fanatic. In the past few years, this fanaticalism (I just wrote it, so it must be a word) has grown to the point that I see spiritual references any time I watch Star Wars, sort of like when I watch Lord of the Rings or read Chronicles of Narnia. All these stories can be used to portray Christian ideals and ethics. Anyway, anytime something new Star Wars comes out or is on television, I feel a compulsion to watch it (ex: Family Guy Star Wars episode, Spike Channel's Tuesday night Star Wars nights, and just recently on How I Met Your Mother at the end of the movie that the two main guys have just seen it says "121 awesome minutes later, and I could totally relate). The newest craze for me revolves around a new video game called The Force Unleashed. I don't know if it's because we never really had a video game system growing up, but ever since I've moved out on my own, I have loved playing video games. In fact, some of my fondest memories of post-college in Athens involved having a poker and game night at my friend Billy's house. This game looks really awesome. The only downside is that it's only being released on actual video game systems like the Wii and Playstations, and I only have my computer to play video games on. I have been asking my lovely wife half-jokingly for over a year since I found out this game was coming out for one of these video game systems, and now that I've seen some of the game footage on YouTube, it makes me want to step up the asking even more. Christmas is only around the corner after all.

The downside to all of this is that I have a tendency when I get a new game to not bother with anything else until the game is completed. Not doing chores, not keeping myself clean, not furthering my mind, not spending time with my wife or daughter, not anything but the game. This is not something I consciously do, it's the same thing if I really get into a book; the story usually just hooks me and I have to find out how it ends. For this reason I can see why my wife does not want me to have a Playstation or a Wii or even a PSP, but the call of the game is growing stronger!

On a more serious note (Part Two of the unrelated subjects if you bother to read the title of this blog entry), Kayla and I have finally joined First (only) Baptist Church of Karnes City. We have attended this church since we moved down here last October, but we both have had to wrestle with the dogmatic act of "walking down the aisle" to become members of a church. After having been to Compass and taking a class where you are walked through what the church believes, how they feel you should live your life and represent their church among other things, to then do something as trivial as walking down an aisle without knowing any of that information had us both a little concerned. It's not like we weren't already a part of the church (if you recall we did a VBS class over the summer, and I recently provided the special music for a service), but we felt it was finally the right time and did it this past Sunday. The hard part now is the focus has shifted a little bit towards me, or at least it feels like it has; let me explain:

The lady that does the music at the church is a volunteer and has to be somewhere between 65 and 75. She has no formal music training, but she has been willing to lead the music and prepare the choir to sing every Sunday. This is fine and dandy (except she doesn't conduct a correct pattern, which causes me every Sunday to look at my feet instead of at her), except, since I sang those few Sundays ago, every time we've seen her she tells me all the reasons she can't lead the music for too much longer: her eyesight is bad, it's a trouble for her husband and her to drive from where they live to church several times a week, how she's exhausted from working with the choir, and so on. These conversations always end with what feels like to me that she's ready for me to take over all her duties on the following Sunday. Now, maybe that's just me and maybe it's actually true, I'm not sure.

I know I could do this job and I know I could do it well. I also know that I would get some satisfaction out of it because I would be able to guide the music into a more contemporary style. The stumbling block for me is where I'm struggling right now and that is the position is a volunteer one. For the work that I want to do, it would require at least 10-15 hours a week and I am a professional in the field, so I feel that I should have some compensation. At the same time, I realize that I wouldn't be working for myself or even the church, but for Jesus, and that's a position that requires no other payment. But, on the other hand, Paul tells us in the Bible that we are to pay our leaders in the church so that they might be able to live and support their families. On the other other hand, though, it's not like this would be my full-time job or that I'm not already earning a paycheck. But when I think about it another way, any little bit of money I could earn extra for my family would help us to live without having to go paycheck to paycheck.

And that paragraph right there is why I don't allow myself to think about the possibility of taking over the position right now, because I haven't found a way to sort out my questions or concerns yet. Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated, especially of the Biblical source. The reason I ask for them is just like I feel the call of that game drawing me closer, I feel the call of this position in the church drawing me closer.

What do you know, these subjects weren't as unrelated as I thought. Also, if you have made it this far into the post, you are to be commended and I won't make you read any further. Hopefully, the post this weekend will deal with the exciting bus adventures I had today at school. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

kjonz29 said...

Random comments to think about--

You're absolutely right that you SHOULD be paid for this...that said, look at the church's situation. CAN they pay someone? (How are their finances?)

At Epworth (where I grew up), they STILL don't pay anything to their pianist/organist, because one lady who's now still officially the organist, but only plays about one Sunday in 4, refuses to take money, so the others feel they must refuse, too. So FBCKC may have a situation like that...but could be led to pay the "worker worthy of his hire."

If they do pay you, be sure you do really excellent work, and also that you don't move TOO quickly to contemporary. Jon Duncan from GA Baptist Convention Music and Worship dept. probably can give you a 'heads up' on someone at BGCT or SBT, the two conventions in Texas (I don't know which one your church belongs to). GBC music and worship has a lending library of anthems--most that were used by Sons of Jubal or at Youth Music Camp, so they are good stuff. I'm sure TX has something similar. btw Baptist General Convention of Texas, and Southern Baptists of Texas are the two conventions there. SBT is the newer and more conservative one theologically (but ironically may be more open to contemporary music.)

If the gentleman takes the position as interim pastor, talk to him about the situation.

Also if the lady who presently leads keeps talking to you about taking over, you can always temporarily gain some time by asking, "But wouldn't the nominating committee (or personnel team, whatever) have to talk it over?"

In thinking of how many hours it would take, if you decide to do this as a volunteer (remember, Paul did tentmaking to free one of his churches from having to support him) then I'd suggest NOT thinking of all the hours you'd have to spend, but only consider the EXTRA hours that you'd be at church or doing preparation that you are not already spending at church now.

Last, if she does step down, and if they ask you to take over, BE SURE that they do something really lavish and thoughtful for her in appreciation of her years of service. I'd suggest her being named music leader emeritus, having a special day in her honor, and giving her a "money tree," a plaque, and play it up big in the local paper and state Baptist paper.

keyofdjonz said...

wow, you have a lot of hands (ha-ha)

to paraphrase, with great talent comes great responsibility. you need to pray over this matter, as i am sure you are. i would write down the pros and cons of taking this position. that always helps me clarify the situation.

daddy is right, i would definitely ask for payment. for one thing it keeps you from just blowing it off with the attitude of well, i'm not being paid for this. when you're paid there is a greater responsibility on your part . i have always tried to do a little better at places where i'm paid b/c i know i am appreciated enough to be paid!

it's not an easy decision. i know. you are always balancing time and expectations at work as well as at church.

on the other hand : ) regardless of what YOU want it's what GOD wants. he will make it plain and in his time. we'll pray, too.

love ya'

William K. Neal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
William K. Neal said...

So I started to write a reply, and then found myself writing about... me. You have inspired another post: "Traffic"
Actually you have inspired several. But the one about predestination is still in the works :-).