Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Missing Athens




I couldn't decide if those not from Athens would be able to tell that the famous Redcoat Marching Band over on the left was making the Arch from Athens. Here's a little history lesson courtesy of wikipedia about the UGA arch:

"Perhaps the most notable North Campus fixture, though, is the cast-iron gateway that stands at its main entrance. Known as "The Arch" (but often erroneously pluralized to "The Arches"), the structure was patterned after the the Seal of the state of Georgia, and has faced historic downtown Athens ever since it was erected in the 1850s. Although the Seal's three pillars represent the state's three branches of government, the pillars of The Arch are usually taken to represent the Georgia Constitution's three principles of wisdom, justice, and moderation, which are engraved over the pillars of the Seal. There are multiple legends about walking through The Arch: one has it that if you walk beneath it as an underclassman, you'll either be a 5th year+ senior or you will never graduate from UGA. Another legend claims that should you walk through The Arch as a freshman, you will become sterile (as told in some freshman orientation tours)."

This is just one of the few things I miss about my hometown due to being so far away from it. Athens will always be my home, it was where I was raised, where I met my wife, where we found a church, and where we had Brenna. I have lifelong friends there that I miss dearly, and of course there's the college. Now, when I talk about the college, some of you would say, "he's about to wax poetic about the football team," wait and hear me out. While I am quick to remind everyone here of the virtues of the athletic department of UGA (men's basketball SEC champs, gymnastics champs, #1 football team, 2nd in college baseball, etc.), what I really miss is the feel of Athens. It was a funky little town that had its own vibe about it that can't really be explained. People were always friendly, if a little wierd downtown. We also had the opportunity to take in some of the best culture around for rock-bottom prices, whether it be a show, a concert, or an art exhibit. These are some of the things that we just don't get here in the little 3,000 person town of Karnes City, and if I go to San Antonio, those rock-bottom prices are nowhere to be found.

I was reminded (as I normally am around a holiday) of how much we gave up when we left Athens. I called one of my friends (Hi, Billy!) over the Labor Day holiday to see what was going on with our friends, and everyone was gathered in the small town of Comer for a cook-off between two of our friends (Hi, Jake!). It sounded like everyone was having a great time cooking, laughing, and growing closer together. We talked about how church was going and how they are doing church in new and creative ways, which is hard to hear when I'm stuck doing all 6 verses of "Just As I Am" every Sunday and listening to sermons that have exactly three points that I could come up with on my own. Not to say there's something wrong with that, it's just not as easy to get excited about. That coupled with not being around when the town comes back to full life with the return of students after a short summer break just makes me sad. Not to say that I don't think we're right smack in the middle of God's will being here and doing important work with the kids from the great KC, but I wonder if I'll ever not miss my home.

2 comments:

keyofdjonz said...

i guess we will all always love athens more than any place on earth. it's funny, i had just told daddy yesterday that living here in the mountains has made me almost as happy as when we lived in athens!

mjone182 said...

Hey! Man, I do miss Athens, too, but I have realized that no matter what I do now, it seems that this area of Georgia keeps pulling me in. I suppose that it's all the Civil War history (well, the history period). Tasha and I drove on Saturday from Cartersville to Chattanooga on Hwy 41 all the way. It took 2 1/2 hours, but it was completely worth it. I love the way that the hills roll up into the mountains here, and the fact that there are so many farms and country around us. I guess that it's just the old Dyer and Jones sides of the family that want to be close to the roots! :)