Monday, September 22, 2008

Potpourri (Part II)

I was originally going to call this post: Hey Na, Hey Na, My Girls Are Back, but then we had so much stuff happen over the weekend, that it didn't seem to cover it all, so we'll go with the current title and no picture again. So let's get going:

My girls did make it back from their week-long excursion back East on Friday night, and it really brought a smile to my face when I saw them coming from the stands at the high school game. I hadn't really realized how much I had missed them until I saw them coming to see me. I knew that I had missed them, but I had also been so busy during the week with a re-scheduled evening rehearsal, getting fundraiser stuff for the band in, two pep rallies, and helping the band boosters run a concession stand, as well as changing the entire half-time show so the elementary school could recognize some students. It made me laugh out loud when I looked into the stands and saw my daughter dancing her heart out to the band's music on the field! I wish I had a picture; maybe next time.

So, I get home on Friday night, almost Saturday morning and have to turn right back around by 7:45 Saturday morning to get to the band hall so that kids can come and get their instruments for the parade the band had to march in for our little town. This is a parade we did last year, and I've got to say it was much easier this year, simply because I didn't have to drive down from San Antonio to attend it. It does make me laugh, though, because the parade route can't be more than 3/4's a mile long. And we have the whole town come out for it. When we marched by my house, we had a full crowd and it lightened my heart again because I look over and see my daughter dressed in a full cheerleader uniform for the Dawgs! It also made me laugh because we had a crowd out on our lawn, from our one family of friends here, to our drum major from last year who had graduated and her boyfriend, to the elementary music teacher and her family. It was just good to see that many people at our place to watch the parade. Once I arrived back home, I also saw that my wife had on a UGA shirt and she had gotten a new one for me in her travels. Before she left on her trip she told me that not seeing Brenna dressed for gameday on Saturdays somehow didn't feel right, so she remedied the situation while she was in Athens. It brought joy to my day, because I realized that after eight years I had finally converted my wife to the closest thing to a UGA fan that I'm likely to get. It only took moving to TX to get it! The rest of Saturday was pretty normal. Fortunately, Brenna took a long nap, so I was able to recoup some from the quick turn-around with band duties. We did get to go to the reason there was a parade: The Lonesome Dove Festival, where they did a jousting presentation and we saw a horse that was something like 22 hands high! The horse was huge, the presenter said within the next six months he was going to break the world record for the world's tallest horse currently held by his older brother. We rode a small "choo-choo train" in Brenna's words, we saw some llamas and some goats, and late that evening our neighbors even brought over some dove for us to try. It tasted like chicken to me, but I am by no means a food critic.

So, Sunday rolls around and Kayla is having a difficult time getting going because of what feels like a small head cold, so I take Brenna and we listen to music on the computer. She makes me laugh because once I played some of my movie music for her because I couldn't think of anything else to do with her and she was getting bored, so we sat in the chair and listened and now it's one of her favorite things to do with me. I love it because she gets to share in my life's passion and she loves it because she learns how to "play" all the instruments she hears, and Momma loves it because she doesn't have to watch Brenna. So, we all get to church and get to the end of the service and Kayla finally decides we need to join the church. We had actually decided this back over the summer, but she's adamantly against having to walk the aisle to do anything other than go to the altar to pray. But, we walked the aisle and spoke with the gentleman who is soon to be the interim pastor and joined the church. So we get home after all the excitement of hearing several of the older church ladies express how it was about time we joined and how now I need to help with the choir, and the choir director telling me again for the third week in a row that I need to take her job (More on that later this week), and Kayla immediately goes to lay down. Her little head cold has turned into a serious sinus infection, so I'm in charge of Brenna all day, which is fine because I haven't seen her in a week. So, we have a pretty uneventful day and we go down to see Kayla who only got out of bed long enough to go to the restroom and she tells me I won't have to stay home from school because she might feel better, and in the meantime she can't get out of bed. So, I'm staying home from school tomorrow to give her a chance to recover some energy because I don't think you can take care of a two-year old from your bed. I'll let you know how it goes, but now you're caught up on the lengthy and eventful weekend! Everyone have a great start to your week, I'll be watching my daughter!

No comments: