Thursday, February 28, 2008

Getting Ready


For those not from Texas, those letters stand for University Interscholastic League. To me it sounds like a superhero fighting team, but here it's the governing body for all things related to after-school and extra-curricular activities. As such, all I'm working on at work right now is getting my 7/8th graders ready to perform at the UIL contest where we will get a rating based on how well we play, and if it's a good judge, some constructive criticism. We have something equivalent to this in GA, but it's just called Festival. Anyways, UIL has a 19-page rulebook (FRONT AND BACK!-Sorry, had to slip in a Friends reference), for just this year's rule changes. Apparently, they change the rules each year in order to keep current. We have a concert next Sunday (3/9) as the final preparation for the UIL contest (3/10). Sorry there isn't any more exciting news to report. Hopefully all will go well, the kids will do well and feel good about their performance, and I won't have to worry about finding another job this next year.
One side note: I will be the first one to tell you that living here in TX is not as grand to me as everyone told me it was supposed to be, but to live in an area that is near a die-hard basketball town (San Antonio), and nothing else has left me longing for my two favorite sports: college football, and pro baseball. Fortunately, we live in a digital age, so I am able to keep up with the Braves and the Dawgs via the internet, but it makes me sad that I can't come home from church this summer, put on a baseball game that I care about the outcome and take a little nap. Probably just me, but it does make me sad. That's about all for now, as always, comments are appreciated!

No comments: