Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Mixed Bag

This post will be just what I've titled it because there have been so many random things going on in our lives these past few weeks that I don't know how to link them all, maybe it will come to
me by the end of the post. Before we get started, can I say that it is pretty upsetting to me that I've only got about 5 weeks left on my vacation on this summer. I guess I have to remember that not everyone gets a summer vacation.


VBS:

So last week, Kayla and I were in charge of VBS music for the second year in a row, and it was really defined by one specific moment, follow this link (if it doesn't work, go to YouTube and type in "vbs 2009 gonna follow you) and imagine my wife doing the opening motions. My lovely wife is known for a lot of things: kindness, a great smile, teaching little ones really well, and taking care of a thousand things all at once and making it look effortless; but one of the things she hasn't quite mastered is the art of "cool dancing." Not that I did too much better, but every time I saw her doing that first move, I couldn't help but crack up. Fortunately for her I didn't take any video of her dancing, so you're left up to your imaginations.

In the end, we had a lot of fun teaching the kids and got our first glimpse of the difficulties that my grandmother must have dealt with teaching my dad in her classes. Brenna was old enough to be in the youngest class this year, but every time she came to us for music she didn't want to sing or do the motions, no matter how much we encouraged her to. We did manage to keep her with her classmates and not attached to us. She seemed to get the idea by the end of the week when the class performed for the parents, because she did all the motions and sang. We have also been singing all the VBS songs this week. It amazes me that she is able to sing on pitch most of the time, especially if she is singing with someone else. I won't call her a musical prodigy, but it is definitely in her blood.

In all at VBS we were told there were 50 commitments made by the kids of one sort or another. Pretty amazing that something begun back in the 1800's can still impact eternity in this day and age.


Facebook:

Or as I call it "summer crack," because I have spent all summer checking that silly website numerous times a day seeing what all my friends are up to and telling them what's been going on with us. I don't visit the website hardly at all during the school year, but with all the time I have where I don't really have any responsibilities to attend to, I have to fill the time somehow. And just like in life, it seems to be my goal to see how many people I can get to think I'm funny through my status updates. Hopefully I'll be able to dial it down some over the next few days, especially since we'll be leaving soon for...


Georgia:

That's right, the annual summer trek of the Jones family back east will be getting underway in about two weeks. We're driving all the way there which may be a little bit more tricky this year than the last time we did it because we won't be able to drive like we did last time with Brenna being a little older. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone, but also really relaxing. It seems like for some reason that you don't relax as well at home as you do somewhere else. We're going to see some fireworks, visit with my family (including my grandparents from Virginia who haven't seen Brenna in person since she was a few months old), go to the zoo, probably go to the lake near my parents, and also go to Athens where we'll see our best friends in the world and go to our home church! That's why I'm packing the PS3! But before that, we have been blessed by Kayla's parents with...


Cousins Camp:

Brenna will be spending an all expenses paid trip in Houston visiting with her cousin from San Antonio, courtesy of her grandparents in Houston. That means that Kayla and I will have a whole week to ourselves free of the responsibilities of a 3-year old, so of course Kayla and I are going to fill our time by running errands and working! Maybe we'll find some time to ourselves to be a couple.


Swimming Lessons:

Won't say too much about this, other than to have you check Kayla's blog for all the misadventures Brenna and she have had trying to see if Brenna can learn how to swim.


KCFBC:

Those initials stand for Karnes City First Baptist Church, where Kayla and I are members. We haven't been terribly thrilled with having to attend a small-town church, mostly because the environment hasn't been what we got at our church in Athens. We have survived and thrived, though working in any capacity that we could to try and feel better about it. We have recently gotten a new pastor, however, and it has really changed the way the church feels to us. He is challenging and innovative and really wants to work to make an impact on the community as much as we can. He and his family are also wonderful in that they are right around the same age as our family and for the first time since we've moved here I feel like I might possibly have a friend that I can relate to and that will help me grow spiritually. So things are rocking along well in that area.


Well, if you have made it all the way down to the bottom of this post, you are to be commended, so here you go:













They'll never take our "FREEDOM!!!"















Make sure you read the fine print

(if you can't read it it says "also the bridge is out ahead.")












I've taught this kid before.









I've done this to kids before.



















Or, our best lead just went in the crapper...

No comments: